The Democratic Light on America: Read or Watch Corrupt Media at Your Peril
ANALYSIS / OPINION:
The word “gas lighting” has crept into media criticism, and for good reason.
Once upon a time, the media carried the news, albeit with a liberal slant. Now they’re getting into full-fledged gas lighting to facilitate whatever the left wants.
The term comes from a 1938 play by British playwright Patrick Hamilton, “Gaslight”, and film adaptations, the most famous of which is a 1944 version starring Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman.
It is about a man who hides a secret by literally making his wife believe that she is crazy. He uses all kinds of tricks, from weird lighting to pretending not to notice.
For decades, America’s media elites have engaged in selective gaslighting. A prime example came in 1968 when Walter Cronkite of CBS and others repeated Communist propaganda that the Americans and South Vietnamese “lost” the Tet offensive. In reality, the Viet Cong were devastated despite help from North Vietnam. But the false reports of a major American defeat turned into a mantra that war was impossible to win.
Today the media are committing Tet offenses every day. It is breathtaking. Often they repeat absurd talking points from Democrats. At other times, they present an “established science” that is not “established” at all.
Here’s more information on gas lighting before we dive into other examples.
“Gas lighting is an insidious form of manipulation and psychological control,” according to Psychology Today. “Gaslighting victims deliberately and systematically receive false information that leads them to question what they know to be true, often about themselves. They can end up doubting their memory, their perception and even their sanity. Over time, the manipulations of a gaslighter can become more complex and powerful, making it increasingly difficult for the victim to see the truth.
It helps explain why, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary, so many young people have bought into the left’s lies about everything from economics to sex. “Those who employ this tactic often have personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder and psychopathy among them,” the magazine says.
Well, that might help explain why the media is still in the grip of Trump’s inconvenience syndrome, the steroid successor to Bush’s inconvenience syndrome.
Here are some other examples of gas lighting.
• There is no border crisis, and even if there is, Kamala Harris is “on it”. Reality: Hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens have flocked to the border since January. Dozens perished. A shameless gaslighter, the vice president boasted in El Paso that the administration has made “extreme strides in recent months.” It’s extreme, okay. Related: Blaming Trump for the Border Catastrophe.
• The January 6 riot on Capitol Hill was an “armed insurgency” in which five people died. Reality: No weapon was found. Only one person was killed, Trump’s unarmed supporter Ashli Babbitt. The media don’t care who shot him.
• Republicans want to fund the police. Reality: Pelosi, Schumer and other leading Democrats concocted this from the GOP’s reluctance to back one of Biden’s COVID outbreaks. Reality: The GOP has long supported the police. Democrats are in favor of police funding and have done so in cities now rocked by shocking crime waves.
• Democrats are “anti-crime”. Reality: Crime has been rampant in cities run by Democrats since they created the culture of wellness in the 1960s and destroyed families. It is now out of control, with shootings and homicides exceeding totals increased by riots last year.
• Black Lives Matter cares about black lives. Reality: This Marxist group supports abortion of black babies and cares only about publicizing the rare cases related to cops, not the thousands of people killed each year by criminals.
• Six trillion dollars in spending in the Biden budget will be offset by tax increases only on the “rich”. Reality: Even if every billionaire’s fortune were confiscated, it would not shake the federal debt bomb. Mr. Biden wants billions to bolster the IRS so they can plunder the wallets of America’s middle class.
• Joe Biden is a “devout Catholic”. Reality: Sure, he goes to church regularly, but he’s working overtime to increase tax-funded abortions and arms LGBTQ shock troops to turn America into a Marxist version of Sodom and Gomorrah. Saint-Pierre, call your office.
• Men who think they are women are really women. And vice versa. Reality: Biology doesn’t lie, unlike unscrupulous elites who mislead people into believing they are of the opposite sex and insist that everyone follow. Telling the truth becomes a criminal act. Last twist: eliminate the words “woman” or “mother” and use “pregnant person” instead.
• Voter ID laws and accurate registration lists are “racist”. Reality: Minority votes have increased dramatically in jurisdictions with voter identification and other electoral guarantees. To say that minorities cannot obtain identity documents is racist.
• Babies in the womb are not “human beings”, just tissue. Reality: Ultrasounds that detect heartbeats as early as 16 days say otherwise, and DNA reveals the uniqueness of every human life.
• America can unilaterally prevent climate change. Reality: Erasing America’s energy independence based on fossil fuels is a gift to Russia, Iran and China. None of them, or our ally India, is bringing their own coal, gas and oil economies to their knees. China is building new coal-fired power stations.
• China is a “partner” in the global economy. Reality: China is a totalitarian communist state built on the mass murder and persecution of religious minorities and dissidents. In pursuit of world domination, she is helped by companies like Nike, whose CEO recently proclaimed that “we are a brand of China and for China”.
• COVID-19 came from a bat in a wet market in Wuhan. Anyone who said otherwise was ridiculed. Reality: Evidence is mounting that it comes from the People’s Liberation Army biological weapons lab that makes viruses more virulent.
This is the tip of the iceberg. There is also the critical race theory and the politics of masks and blocks.
Democrats are enlightening the nation, aided by corrupt media. Read or watch at your own risk.
You may also want to look for reliable outlets such as this newspaper.
• Robert Knight is a contributor to the Washington Times. Its website is roberthknight.com.